Saturday, December 1, 2012

Happy December!

It's hard to believe that in a six short months, we'll be back on the track to celebrate our loved ones and fight cancer.  Hopefully, we'll find warm sunny weather for our hours on the track!

This month, I've decided to give up coffee shop coffee.  I'll take the $2/cup/day (on average...depends on wht size I'd get but that about covers a medium hot at Dunks), and donate the money to my Relay team.  That'll put me well onto my way toward my goal of $500 this year!  Anyone want to join me?


Oh, I'm sure I'll regret this as the temperature drops!!  But it's for a good cause, so I'll be okay. 

***********************************************************************************

Cancer Fatigue


December is Cancer-Related Fatigue Awareness Month.  Sounds weird, I'm sure, but it ties in with an article I posted to Facebook and Twitter recently.  Apparently, attempting to keep your aerobic activity up during cancer treatment can help to reduce cancer-related fatigue.  Less fatigue can mean less muscle wasting, which in turn can mean that your body is better able to fight the cancer. 

Cancer Fatigue is so much more than the fatigue felt after staying up to late or working particularly hard physically. "Fatigue can be a result of cancer treatment, or the cancer itself. When it's an effect of the cancer treatment, researchers noted that it could negatively impact adherence to treatment."

The studies found that running, walking, and cycling had an effect on cancer fatigue, but they did not find any comparable effect from other types of exercise, like resistance training. 

About half of the studies reviews dealt specifically with breast cancer-related fatigue, but this study by Dr. Theresa P. Yeo focused on those diagnosed with pancreatic or periampullary cancers. 

All in all, it's worth it to try to get in some form of exercise every day if you can. 

**********************************************************************************
I also wanted to include a calendar for Cancer Awareness Months.  You may be able to use these for focused fundraiser or ideas for your sites.  Obviously, we've taken care of National Cancer Survivor Month with our purple t-shirts!


Don't forget to follow us on Facebook! You can also reach the website at http://www.relaybridgewater.org/ or email us at relaybridgewater@gmail.com.

No comments: